Saturday, February 9, 2008

family memory

Today, we have had sort of a blizzard.  Julie got to Fargo about 8 p.m. and started for home.  It was after midnight, or about then when she arrived here.  She was really tired, I am sure that her own bed looked good.  She slept in today, and Jack and I have been in the house all day.
    We continue with our genealogy project.  Jack has been reading about his relatives from a scrapbook sent to him by his cousin.  Our conversation prompted me to get out the Walsh County atlas where we found a lot more information.  I am making copies of the family stories and putting them in the three ring binders with their family genealogy. 
    Tonight, I got a call from a relative of Jack's that we did not know, but by calling another person we have found out about her.  Her grandfather was a brother to Jack's great-grandmother.She is interested in genealogy and will call again tomorrow evening.
    When I think of a blizzard day, I think of the times that my father would take us for fun rides.  He would use a flat surface behind his tractor, the flat surface might be the hood of a car.He would tie it to the back of the tractor and we would sit in it while he would give us rides around the yard.  It was a lot of fun.  I think my cousins Mary Ella and Betty Clare remember those times, too.
    My dad also liked to ice skate (and roller skate) so he made us a little skating rink out in the yard, somewhere south of the light pole.  He could figure skate, making "8"'s,etc.
    We usually had a really big snow bank on the road north of our house.
    One winter we really had a lot of snow,  I think it was about 1956.  The road to the east of the O'Brien farm had a bank that was higher than the vehicle on both sides of the road.  It had been plowed many times and it just kept getting higher and higher,  I think we missed a lot of school that year.

2 comments: