Saturday, December 13, 2008

blizzards

I have been thinking tonight about previous blizzards that I remember.  Right now this one isn't nearly as bad as some I can remember, but give it time.  It is those ones who come so quickly that are bad.  One year 1956, I was in eighth grade, we had a lot of storms, the road east of our farm home had cuts that were above the height of the car almost the entire mile.  I think at one point they had to bring in the national guard that year to help clear snow.  There was a really bad blizzard in 1966, some place I should have some photos of that one.    The blizzard of 1941 is before my time, but it is significant too.  Many people lost their lives in that one.  It just didn't work to get out and walk, you could miss the mark by inches and keep going.  Rose Potulny was in that storm and wrote about it.  When Jacqui was a baby, she was sick and we took her to Dr. Hilts one night, and on the way home we went into the ditch (actually into a cut on the side of the road.)  It was on the road between Starkweather and Hampden and by the house that Chuck now lives in........  We had to stay in Mpls an extra night because of blizzard up here when we were on our way home from Florida....The last year that my mom was with us, we had one of those quick storms, I wanted to go see her on Christmas eve but she encouraged me to stay home(they were warning about a storm), and it hit hard and fast, so I was glad I was at home, her neighbors blest her and she spent the evening with them.......Then the one night when i was going home from working at Monkey Shines in Devils Lake, the storm hit after I had left town, and I couldn't see anything except the white line on the road,  I saw lights at Garske and drove in and stayed with Erickstads.....We also got stranded in Minnesota on our way home from Mpls.  Kati and her mom and sister were with us.  They closed the highway.  It stormed at home and people stayed in Cando that night after a basketball game.....I remember the day the announcement came over the tv, they were looking for Bennet Stapleton, he had taken his brother to the train, beautiful night.  No heavy jacket, and on the way home he got on the wrong road, got stuck,possibly stormy and he was there for several day before they found him.  He survived....  I think the weather forcasting is causing people to be more careful.  So be careful.  Mom

6 comments: