Saturday, September 24, 2011

September 24

Again, I wait and write once a week.  It is a really great school year.  I have a generous group of students to focus on.  three in 7th grade, that I am trying to get up to speed so they can manage themselves and not be frustrated.  It took a while to realize that several just weren't getting everything done.  I have a jr student who is really struggling, it was a difficult week for him, but hopefully we are getting him into a much more manageable plan.  then I have a new student,  he is special, a very loving child who some place along the way wasn't taught basic math facts, and has other special needs.  I am there for him when ever he needs help.  I have days when I feel like a mother hen with her chicks.  It is o.k.
There seem to be other activities, I ate with Edna Simon one day, saw pic of her family as they came to see her in August, visit with Gladys, we had pizza together, also saw Matt and Mavis, etc. 

Here are some good thoughts, because I feel somewhat like this, I know that I need to clean out my house and get rid of things not needed and certainly you won't want.  Also I have sensed this week several areas where God is saying let go you are done with that and I want to be free to be all that he wants so he is doing it.......

Mrs. Sherman's Treasures


Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy,
and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven,
where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.
 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. --Matthew 6:19-21

I first met my friends Randy and Charlotte through Young Life when they served on
the local committee. They prayed for hundreds of young people in the Baltimore area
who came to Christ.

Many years ago, Mr. and Mrs. Sherman sold their beautiful Maryland farm and moved
into a retirement community. They took as many photos, furniture, and mementoes
as they could squeeze in their apartment. After about eleven years, Randy began
a long struggle with chronic pneumonia; unfortunately, it meant a second move into
a much smaller assisted living unit.

It was nowhere near as spacious as their other apartment and Charlotte found herself
"getting rid of lots of stuff," as she put it. My heart broke to think of her selling
their furniture and giving away family treasures. When I asked her over the phone
how she was able to manage it, she said with a smile, "All these earthly treasures
will disappear one day anyway; I know my real treasure is in heaven." I couldn't
 see her, but I could picture the twinkle in her blue eyes. What an inspiration!



Americans are experts at accumulating "stuff." Earthly things can sink anchors deep
in our hearts; we feel we could never live without that new exercise equipment,
that second car, or the Chico's charge card. What are the possessions you treasure
in life? Let Charlotte Sherman inspire you today. Find ways you can downsize...
it's the sure way to upgrade devotion to Christ in your heart.

Lord Jesus, may the way I deal with stuff in my life reflect how you and you alone
are my treasure.



No comments:

Post a Comment