Saturday, January 14, 2012

January 14, 2012

i just read the devotion below, it was so good that I decided I must write a few lines about the week.  It has been a good week, there are challenges, but I desire to focus on the positive.  a girl hurt her hand this week, so I am her hand to write atleast some of her work, she is a good girl, and I appreciate the opportunity to help her.  I think of other contact at school.  conversations with the new science teacher, i can see why the school was willing to wait for him to come at second semester,I see a teacher which will bring to our students a quality experience.  Last night we ate supper with Matt and Mavis.  Don and Ann came from Williston and we met at their house.  I said I would bring supper.  I went to the church and put the magazines in the mail boxes.  When I did I had the thought.  I wonder of Paige had any soup left over in her 'coffee shop'  I went there and asked her if she had any soup left.  She smiled and said   "I was waiting to give it to someone".  It was hot and ready to go.  so I bought some cookies, she gave me the soup and a stop at the store for a few other things and off to their house.  The soup was really good and the time together, too.  Don and Ann stayed with us and they have left to go to Lori's

I was really struck by this devotion.  I think I would like to make a drawing of it:


The Bible-Trunk


But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night.
He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers. --Psalm 1:2-3

The Ten Commandments have been hand-carried out of courtrooms and in some places,
school children cannot pledge allegiance to one nation under God. Even Christian
 pastors cannot pray in the name of Jesus at public events. I know this breaks your
heart as it does mine. Especially when we consider the Bible is the source of western
culture.

Dr. Vishal Mangalwadi, of L'Abri Fellowship, describes how the Bible is like a trunk
on a large tree. Its branch of truth has given rise to liberty, education, and science.
The Bible's branch of law has sprouted smaller branches of justice, democracy, rights
and equality. Grace has brought forth the blessings of family, community, righteousness
and forgiveness. Wisdom has sprouted health, peace, technology and prosperity. Finally,
the branch of faith from the Bible has resulted in character, morality, sacrifice
and heroism. These characteristics of western civilization all find their root in
the Word of God. To debunk the Bible in western culture is to push the self-destruct
button![1]

For almost a century the American church has reacted to the secular agenda without
significant advancements. Rather than knee-jerk responses to secularism, we must
 now mount a positive effort that re-introduces the Bible into western culture.
Pray for Dr. Mangalwadi of The Millennium Project - as well as Dr. Ravi Zacharias,
his fellow journeyman, as they labor in the media, the corporate world, and in universities
to cast the vision of the unique importance and unmatched value of the Bible to
all culture.

Lord God, I pray for great Christian philosophers who are working hard to show the
world the power of God's Word to shape nations and cultures. May the nations of
the world cleave to the Bible as the source for truth, law, grace, wisdom, and faith.

5 comments: