Sunday, January 22, 2012

January 22, 2012

Here it is Sunday morning.  I just read these thoughts by Joni, and I don't know what is happening in your life.  But I know that Jesus can put a song in your heart.  I reflect on this past week.  It was a busy one.  Monday was teacher in-service where I learned more about annuals and cameras.  I always need to be refreshed in those areas,  there have been plenty of activity all week and yesterday was a DAR meeting in Devils Lake.  I visited with Edna for a while in the afternoon before going home to fix supper.  I am doing a sewing project, finishing some baby quilts for First Choice clinic. I think of the people who have walked in and out of my week and the things they have said.  I am encouraged to meet people out there who have a 'heart for God'  

Divine Singing


When they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives. --Matthew 26:30

Whether I'm wheeling through the office, driving down the freeway, or puttering
in the backyard, I love to sing. My heart wants to sing whenever I'm enjoying the
routines of life. But have you ever wondered if Jesus sang? It's easy to picture
 him humming a melody as he walked up the road from Jericho to Jerusalem. We know
they sang in the synagogues. During the holy feast days, Jesus' family probably
sang. There must have been many times that Jesus' heart filled with joy and he let
loose with a song. So... where in the Bible does it say that he sang?

The only place it records such a time is in Matthew 26:30.The scene for the song
 is not on a sunny hillside... it's not as he sailed with his disciples in the boat...
and it's not as he walked along the beach with his friends. It was in the Upper
Room the night that Jesus was betrayed. After he broke the bread and offered wine,
they sang a hymn and then went out to the Mount of Olives. Of all the times and
places, the Lord Jesus chose to have us remember him singing as he was led off to
his death.

This speaks to me in my wheelchair. It shows me how to follow the Lord in song when
my heart is heavy, when I'm facing disappointment, or when my back aches. As we
follow his steps up to the Mount of Olives, into the Garden of Gethsemane, and down
the road to Calvary, we take up our cross and sing.

Our natural inclination is not to sing when we are sad or hurting. Yet think of
the apostle Paul who sang, despite his chains in jail (Acts 16:25). No matter if
 your emotions are up or down, follow the Lord's lead today and ask God to put a
 song in your heart

In my heart there rings a melody of love, dear Jesus. You are my song today and
every day. Please keep tuning my heart to sing your praises.

No comments:

Post a Comment