Saturday, May 26, 2007

cemetery visit

    Grandpa and I went to visit the Storlie Cemetery.  Grandpa says you can come and visit us someday there yourselves.  Really I asked him if he would go with me, I usually go there every year and place artificial flowers on the graves.  Actually Grandpa and Grandma O'Brien had that responsibility not only for our family but for Bill Neidlinger family, too.  So when they could no longer do it, the cemetery thing, I did it.  I didn't feel like putting out the flowers and going back in two days to take them off............enough of history, so Grandpa and I went there, we walked around and looked at names of people buried there.  The legion puts flags on the graves of those in the military and some of the flags had broke off or fallen over, so we went around and put them back in place.
    When I was young it was a big thing, we had a service in the legion hall, with the guys in their uniforms and with their guns,  there was usually a hot luck meal.  Everyone went out to the cemetery and the taps were played and the guns shot.  They usually used a member of the school band to play the taps.
    I read in the paper where Cando is having a service,(they do every year) our pastor is going to be the speaker, he was in the military.
    I always enjoy the special times with grandpa and this was a good time, too.  grandma

No comments:

Post a Comment