Wednesday, April 20, 2011

April 20, 2011

Yesterday was a usual day, can't think of anything special, sometimes people react, when really they are just expressing their frustration with life and you happened to get in the way, wrong place right time.  I think that might have happened to me at School.  after school and getting a math assignment done because today I have a different role, I am taking a student to another school, it is close to an hour away so I will stay there til she is done and bring her home.  The devotion for today is appropriate because she has some needs, I hope we can have some good conversation, so if you think of me say a prayer for that.

Jack and Wayne were at Grandpa's house, I can to see how they were doing and saw a problem in the kitchen, seems a connection came loose under kitchen sing, so water on the floor,  We got that fixed but at midnight Jack said, I forgot to turn on the pump, I hope we get things going o.k. soon.  He doesn't have a lot of patience for the situation.


Sit Where Others Sit


"I came to the exiles who lived at Tel Abib near the Kebar Rivers. And there, where
they were living, I sat among them for seven days - overwhelmed."

- Ezekiel 3:15

After a recent speaking engagement, a mentally handicapped man who was wearing thick
glasses and baggy trousers trotted up and gave me a big hug. We talked as he stood
next to me, twisting his necktie with his finger. I asked about his church and his
friends. Out of nowhere, he smiled, stuck out his chest and said, "Ezekiel 3:15...
that's what I like about my friends!"

It seemed a strange thing to say, so I asked him what is so special about the verse.
He proudly quoted it:

"I came to the exiles who lived at Tel Abib near the Kebar Rivers. And there, where
they were living, I sat among them for seven days - overwhelmed" (Ezekiel 3:15).

I gave him a strange look. He explained, "Don't you get it? 'I sat among them.'
And, wow, for seven days!"

A light dawned. "O-o-o-o-h," I said. "I get it. You are pleased that your friends
sit with you and get down on your level, right? And they try to see things from
your perspective, the way you see them." He nodded enthusiastically and went on
to remind me that the captives in Ezekiel's time must have really appreciated friends
who would sit down with them seven whole days. That was a long time to be feeling
someone else's hurts.

As that mentally handicapped man walked away, I gained a new appreciation for how
much the smallest of verses can help. Who would have dreamed that Ezekiel 3:15 would
have anything to do with instructing friends on the fine art of compassion and empathy?

Lord, help me to get down on the level of those who hurt today. Help me to show
a little empathy for those in need. You did it... Ezekiel did it... the friends
of that handicapped man do it every day. And I can do it, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment