Sunday, March 20, 2011

March 20, 2011

Yesterday was a 'full' day.  I went to Devils Lake for DAR meeting, afterwards a bit of shopping and visiting then I went to Vivian Wass, she has something I want to borrow.  Her daughter-in-law Julie Wass came there and we had a really good visit.  I stopped at Jerry's, it seems that UPS thinks we live there, so I got a package,met Alayah and visited.  Came home.  Dad is nursing a cold.  We watched the girls basketball tournament, and saw our students from Starkweather in the parade of champs.  Good day.

I wonder what does this mean in our lives?

Follow Jesus


"Then he said to them all: 'If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself
and take up his cross daily and follow me.'"

--Luke 9:23

"Yes, I will follow Jesus!" We'll gladly follow the Lord around the Sea of Galilee
and be fed with the five thousand. We will drink wine made from water. We will applaud
the blind man who can see and stand amazed at a dead man who rises from his grave.
We will follow Jesus everywhere except... the cross.

Oh, we can handle the burdens, those everyday troubles we all must shoulder. Besides,
there are always others to carry our burdens. We can accept the thorns, those inconveniences
that can't be avoided. It's best to accept thorns and get on with living.

But a cross? No, it is not our inclination to take up a cross. For unlike burdens
or thorns from which we can't escape, a cross is a choice. In fact, the cross was
a choice for Jesus-He did not have to take it up, He could have refused it. But
thankfully, He willingly took up His cross so that you and I might have power. Power
to carry one another's burdens, gladly accept our thorns, and daily take up our
cross and follow Jesus.

To take up your cross involves a daily choice. Perhaps your cross could be a difficult
duty, a painful service, an unbelieving partner in marriage. The Lord is asking
you to willingly take it on and head up the long path with Him to Calvary where
pride and vanity, stubbornness and resentment are crucified.

First, I want to thank You Lord Jesus for willingly taking up Your cross in obedience
to the Father. You could have refused it, but You didn't! Thank You for the power
released through Your obedience, power that enables me to take up my cross today
 and follow You.

No comments:

Post a Comment