Tuesday, February 15, 2011

February 15, 2011

Yesterday was a busy day, with trying to get students caught up in online class  After school time with Frank and Dorothy and conversations with Cody and Janet.

Would You Like to be Handicapped?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You will be ever hearing but never understanding; you will be ever seeing but never
perceiving. For this people's heart has become calloused; they hardly hear with
their ears, and they have closed their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their
 eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts and turn, and I would
heal them."

--Matthew 13:14-15

Someone once asked me, "If you had the power, would you go back and choose your
life in a wheelchair?" In one sense, I knew what he meant. After all, God has taught
me much through my wheelchair. But would I want to do it over again? I don't think
so.

I can't think of anyone who desires to be paralyzed. Who would be foolish enough
 to choose not to have use of his legs and hands? Can you imagine someone wanting
to be blind, choosing darkness over the brilliance of a clear blue sky? Who would
want to deliberately shut his eyes against the sight of a glorious rainbow?

And who would want to be deaf? Who in the world would desire silence instead of
the beauty of a waltz, or the soothing voice of a loved one?

Yet there are people who choose to be handicapped. If you were to challenge them,
they wouldn't have it any other way. They deliberately determine to be disabled.
 Theirs are very serious disabilities, not physical ones but spiritual handicaps.
Jesus even talked about such people.

O God, it's foolish to think that someone would choose a physical handicap. I certainly
wouldn't. But forgive me when I foolishly close myself off from You and Your Word.
Help me to open my eyes and ears. To look for You and listen to You today. I choose
not to be paralyzed by indifference or doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment