Tuesday, February 8, 2011

February 8, 2011

Yesterday I drove Dad's pickup to school, he was working on my vehicle, some light issues.  It was a busy day, the online class is very demanding and sometimes the instructions are not complete, so we don't always know for sure what we are to do.

Here at home I did some bookwork and sewing.  Rather quiet evening.  The deer are eating the bushes by the house, everything is getting trimmed.  I can't imageine that rose bushes are fun to eat.  Dad asked if I took the dish to the garage for the cat, I said no, so I guess the cat took it himself.


The Book of Philippians

"I thank my God every time I remember you. It is right for me to feel this way about
all of you, since I have you in my heart."

--Philippians 1:3,7

When it comes to different styles of writing, the apostle Paul was a versatile author.
When writing to the Galatians, Paul sounded fighting mad as he told them in no uncertain
terms they were way off track. When he wrote to the Romans, he came off sounding
 like a theology professor. When he addressed Christians in the book of Thessalonians,
Paul sounded like a youth leader.

But Paul's letter to the Philippians is different from the rest. Philippians is
not a theology lesson, or a manual on how to solve problems. Philippians is a thank-you
letter and, because of that, Paul doesn't watch his words but writes an endless
stream of joyful remembrances and encouragements. You can tell that he had fun with
his pen and paper.

How poignantly Paul wrote his thank-you letter from a dark, stinking prison cell.
That he can say "be anxious about nothing" and "I've learned to be content" while
in bruising chains makes the book of Philippians all the more joyful.

You may not be in an actual prison, but like the apostle, you may feel chained to
a few unpleasant circumstances.  If so, are you still able to write a thank-you
letter to God? If you need help composing your words, take time to flip open to
the book of Philippians and peruse the finest thank-you letter ever written.


Lord, I want to thank You for every good and perfect gift with which You've blessed
my life. For friends and family... for smiles and sunny days... for the promise
of heaven... for Your grace, which gives joy and peace... and most of all, for the
example of people like Paul, whose example inspires us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment