Sunday, February 27, 2011

February 27, 2011

Sorry I didn't post yesterday, I couldn't get into this site.  Friday, after school, and I was there late helping a student.  I went to Cando, cleaned church did some visiting and then went to women's Bible study of the book of Esther.  Dad went to Bismarck to men's retreat, so I had  time to clean.  I did some that evening and yesterday morning before I went to Devils Lake.  I went to Fiber meeting, and always enjoy the people that I meet.  Talked to Edna on the phone and came home to visit with those at the center.  I am really focused on finishing some sewing, so I sewed on some blocks last night.  Dad got home in the evening.


Forgiven and Forgotten Sins


"If you, O Lord, kept a record of sins, O Lord, who could stand? But with you there
is forgiveness; therefore you are feared."

--Psalm 130:3-4

Somewhere in the back of my memory, I have a list. It's called "Forgiven Sins That
I Can't Forget." The list isn't long, but it contains a handful of personal transgressions
that, in my estimation, tend toward the vile and disgusting. In my lower moments,
these old sins flash in neon lights in front of my thinking. I cringe, recalling
 those awful things I am capable of doing. Against my own conscience, I am unable
to stand.

Thankfully, my conscience does not render the final judgment. Christ does. And oh,
how I praise the Lord that He keeps no lists. To be sure, He takes notice of every
sin. But does He keep account? No. For one thing, God is love and 1 Corinthians
13 says that love "keeps no record of wrongs." For another thing, Psalm 103:12 reminds
us that "as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions
from us."

When we confess our sin, we acknowledge that Christ paid the penalty for it on the
cross. He wipes the slate clean. He washes away the guilt and cleans our conscience.
In other words, He erases the list. When it comes to the sin of His truly repentant
children, God forgives and forgets.

That's the nature of His grace.

Wonderful grace of Jesus, reaching to all the lost,

By it I have been pardoned, saved to the uttermost;

Chains have been torn asunder, giving me liberty,

For the wonderful grace of Jesus reaches me.*

I know you've already forgiven me for past sins, Lord, but today I'm reminded to
 thank You for Your grace that covers it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment