Monday, February 21, 2011

February 21, 2011

Yesterday we went to Sunday School and church, it was a good morning.  I had two students for Sunday School, we had a lot of discussion in class, that is good.  New faces in Church, and a good service.  We aren't getting a blizzard here, but the wind is blowing and the snow banks are getting higher.  I enjoyed being home, took a long nap, and that is about all I remember.  I have school today.


As we start this week let us think about.......

Whose Side Are You On?


"So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful
nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit
what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other."

--Galatians 5:16-17

Remember that old game of Tug-of-War? Line up the strongest guys on your side, wait
for the signal, then dig your heels in, strain hard, and pull till it hurts.

I think of Tug-of-War when I consider the average Christian's daily experience.
It's like two forces that wrench you in a fierce contest of push-and-pull-the Holy
Spirit pushes you up and the flesh pulls you down. It's a constant struggle to crucify
the flesh and keep walking in the Spirit. To starve the old and feed the new. To
 reckon yourself dead to sin and alive to God.

And who wins? It depends on whose side you choose to be. In this contest you are
 either on one side or the other and never in the middle. Every day you're either
following the claims of your fallen nature or believing the promises of God. Who
 prevails in this contest depends upon the attitude you adopt toward either side.

Every moment of the day, each decision you make, every choice and every thought
is a chance to crucify the old and encourage the new. Remember, you can't be neutral;
you can't remain in the middle. You are either walking in the Spirit or you're not.

Lord, as I begin this day, I want to choose You and Your promises. As each hour,
 each moment passes, help me to keep choosing to walk in Your Spirit and thereby
 starve the desires of my sinful nature. I praise You for the difference You will
make in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment