Tuesday, February 22, 2011

February 22, 2011

Yesterday, we had school, whereas most schools had a holiday.  It was a fairly easy day,  our on line students didn't get an assignment because Devils Lake didn't have school.  After school I went to Devils lake to getmy eye checked.  I couldn't see the Dr. til 5 so I got my errands done before I went to him.  He says my eye is doing good, I am thankful because it doesn't hurt any more.  Supper was a little late til I got it cooked, we watched some tv and I did some sewing, too.

I know there are a lot of things in our lives that are really hard and make it hard to see good in life but this is good.....

Redefine Happiness

"And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice
in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance,
character; and character, hope."

--Romans 5:2-4

Some people are never going to be happy.

I'm not being cynical, because the very folks about whom I'm speaking would agree.
They would be the first to say that they are in a dead-end marriage, that they see
no end to the constant irritation of their supervisor at work, that they will never
lose those ugly twenty-five pounds. Life, to them, seems to be a never-ending drudgery
of the same, sad routine.

Are you this way? Does happiness, like a butterfly, almost flutter within reach
but just when you think you have grasped it... it's gone? Or perhaps you feel your
marriage is okay, and your job is acceptable. Yet you feel as though something's
 missing. Perhaps you think this is real happiness.

Well, life is hard. For some, it is downright hard. Unhappiness seems to be here
 to stay. But it doesn't have to be this way, because the answer is not to get rid
of unhappiness but to find a new definition for it.

My friend Elisabeth Elliot has suggested that we redefine happiness as duty and
honor, sacrifice and faithfulness, commitment and service. Happiness is fleeting
 and elusive, but joy is an overflow of the perseverance and hope that comes from
demonstrating faithful sacrifice and committed service.

Lord of Joy, will You help me redefine happiness in my life? You promise joy in
the midst of our suffering, so please let me know Your joy today as I persevere
in faithful service and as I demonstrate true commitment in my tasks. Give me Your
smile, let me feel Your peace dancing in my heart. That, for me, will be true joy.


I am praying for each of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment