Saturday, December 11, 2010

December 11, 2010

Yesterday was Friday, and I had been praying before I went to school, because I needed to talk to a staff person about something, and God is good, the person came to me right away and we could talk about the situation.  It was a good day.  I went to Cando after school because a young fellow from church had invited me to a party that his girl friend was giving..  It was an enjoyable time and I got to see into someone else life. 

 I have chosen to use a devotion by Joni, and I wonder if you can identify with what she is saying

"'The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call
 him Immanuel'-which means, 'God with us.'"

--Matthew 1:23

I hated school when other kids created trouble. Do you remember the feeling? You'd
be falsely accused of calling someone a name. Or other kids wrote nasty notes about
your hair or clothes. Or the bully towered over you, ready to punch your lights
out. For those moments, the world might as well have ended. You couldn't imagine
 how life could go on.

I imagine that Joseph felt like that when he heard of Mary's pregnancy. His engagement
was not going according to classroom rules. People started talking. Whispering,
giggling. Sneering. And who knows, perhaps Mary had an older brother who would have
beaten the life out of Joseph.

But notice what the angel tells Joseph: "'The virgin will be with child and will
 give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel'-which means, 'God with us'"
(Matthew 1:23).

God with us. What wonderful words Joseph heard. It made all the difference.

Remember those tough days at school? What a relief it was when the teacher showed
up at just the right moment to make things right. To stop the talking. To halt the
fight. The teacher was in the room and all was well. Whew! So, too, God would be
 with Joseph and Mary.

But that's not all, I imagine. God was not only going to be there, He would be on
their side. Just like the teacher who says, "I'm with you,son. The rest of you,
run along."

God's promise must have emboldened Joseph because the next day he took the less-traveled
road and married Mary. Such was his confidence in God's presence and God's defense.

Lord, life has not presented itself in a pretty package each day. But I know that
You are with me. And I know that you are on my side. How can I fail? Give me courage
to take roads less traveled, because You are mine and You are there.

Father when we feel that we are in a world that doesn't care, that only wants their way or only cars about themselves, we are reminded that you do care and you are with us.  Father we give you this day, In Jesus Name. Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment