Wednesday, December 29, 2010

December 29, 2010

yesterday, Julie left for Bismarck and at noon we ate in town.  After lunch I drove to Cando and spent the afternoon cleaning at the church.  The little storeroom under the stairway, is now ready to return the Christmas tree box and decoration boxes.  I have chosen this devotion from Joni this morning, it helps me to understand why God doesn't allow me to be a part of a lot of activities.

The Desert of Solitude


"But when God, who set me apart from birth and called me by his grace, was pleased
to reveal his Son in me so that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I did not
 consult any man, nor did I go up to Jerusalem to see those who were apostles before
I was, but I went immediately into Arabia and later returned to Damascus."
                  --Galatians 1:15-17

"Others may, but you cannot." That was not only a cross-stitched proverb I once
saw hanging in someone's hallway, but it was the direct and personal word of the
 Holy Spirit to me. I saw many of my Christian friends enjoying all sorts of wonderful
activities, but if I ventured into the same, I felt out of place and a little uncomfortable.
Not wanting to trouble my friends, I kept these feelings to myself and quietly retreated,
not from my loved ones, but from the activities. My spirit felt better for it, but
I was also lonely.

Those became marvelous times of fellowship with the Lord Jesus. Having forfeited
 activities that were, for the most part, morally neutral, I was more free to pursue
a pure-hearted devotion to God. My loneliness became that which drove me deeper
into the heart of my Savior.

Distancing yourself from something that once held your heart can be a kind of withdrawing
into the desert of solitude where desires can be purified. It's a way of detaching
your desire from the magnetic pulls of this world in order to attach it more firmly
to Christ.

The love of God constrains us all, but it more tightly constrains some than others,
making the soul restless until it finds its desires fulfilled in the Lord and in
 the Lord only.

Make me sensitive to Your constraining love, Lord, and if You are calling me into
a desert of solitude, please give me the courage to follow.


Jesus bless your day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment