Monday, December 13, 2010

December 13, 2010

yesterday we had Sunday School and church.  My little class has grown and a new family is making our church its home, so I have 3 new children and they are a rel delight.  I told them we were going to have a one room Sunday School with several ages and we would help each other.  One of our pastors in the congregation and his wife told about their missions trip to Kenya and he acted out the Christmas story from Joseph's view, It was a good service.  We were home the rest of the day as I am fasting for a test at the hospital this morning, we will be leaving at 5:30 for Devils lake.

I like Joni's thoughts trust that you will too.

"When he ascended on high, he led captives in his train and gave gifts to men."
 --Ephesians 4:8

Some gifts you give because it's expected. Other gifts are spur-of-the-moment surprises.
Such are the gifts Ken enjoys presenting to me. He calls them omiages. In Japanese,
it means "a little gift that you are not required to give, as for a special occasion."

When I'm on a trip, I have fun picking out omiages for my husband. Once it was a
 tie from Ohio, another time it was a T-shirt from New York City. When I came home
from Texas, I presented him with a jar of chili sauce. Little, unexpected gifts.
 Ken is always so pleased because he knows that an omiage doesn't have to be given.
That makes it all the more special.

That's the way Jesus is with us. He's not obligated to give us gifts. He's not required
to shower us with blessings. He owes this utterly rebellious planet absolutely nothing,
and that's why His gifts are all the more special.

"He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all-how will he not also,
along with him, graciously give us all things?" (Romans 8:32).

Thank God for His omiages the next time you are blessed by the sound of pattering
rain on the window. Or a ray of sunshine on your kitchen floor. The smell of pine
on a cold December day. The clattering of horses' hooves on cobblestones. The cooing
of pigeons in the park.

God gives gifts simply because He wants to. To top it off, they are generous gifts,
not little omiages but big ones. What gift has God given you today? Praise Him for
His blessings, small and great.

Lord and Giver of Life, thank You for being so generous. Today I will count my blessings
and be mindful to turn to You often and say, "Thank You!"

No comments:

Post a Comment