Sunday, December 12, 2010

December 12, 2010

Yesterday we were at home, I mostly have been cleaning and sorting and putting away and throwing.  After dinner we went down to the O'Brien house and got it ready for winter.  We had lunch with the seniors but I didn't go see Frank and Dorothy, I feel like I might have a cold or something and didn't want to take that to Frank.

Last night Dad asked me if I had bought any cards from Joni, which I thought was interesting.  So I ordered some.  She draws and paints with hr mouth.  This is her devotion for this day:


"He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all
his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his
voice."
--John 10:3-4

Ever get the feeling you're somewhere out in front of God as you move through your
week? You bump up against a trial, and you know from Scripture that God is going
 to work all things together for good, but somehow you have the idea he's behind
 you, armed with a dustpan and broom, ready to do a cleanup job on you and your
problem.

Or perhaps you imagine God standing a few paces back with a bottle of glue, ready
to pick up the broken pieces of your life and paste them back together. Or do you
imagine Him with hammer and nails ready to follow after you and do a patch-up job
should things fall apart?

If you feel as though God's principal activity in your life is to follow behind
you and throw a rope after you've fallen headlong into a trial, then you need to
 memorize our verse for today. A shepherd never follows his flock, he leads them.
Jesus Himself says that he goes on ahead. He blazes a straight path and charts the
way.

Never is God surprised by your trials. Never does he push you out ahead and back
 you up with a dustpan and broom. God is out in front. In fact, God totally encompasses
you, front, side, and rear guard. As it says in Psalm 139:5-6, "You hem me in-behind
and before; you have laid your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for
 me, too lofty for me to attain."

Thank You for leading me, Lord. Thank You for charting all of my days, planning
every event so that it fits miraculously into a pattern of good for my life.

Trusting that it is a blessing for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment