Thursday, January 20, 2011

January 20, 2011

Yesterday was a good school day.  I have enjoyed conversations with Laura who is filling in at school in the kitchen.  I have helped her and we have cleaned everything in the kitchen and it is ready for the new cook....  After school I helped a student for a while and then went to Cando and cleaned the church, did a bit of visiting and went to Bible Study.  This is a good reading, maybe a bit heavy but good...

How Much Will It Cost?


"And anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever
finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it."

--Matthew 10:38-39

Jesus, with eyes full of love and compassion, extends His hand and offers us life
abundant and joyful, here and for eternity. "But how much will it cost?" You ask.
The answer is short, simple, and painful. "It will cost you everything," the Lord
replies.

Ouch. That's what the rich young ruler must have said when he asked Jesus how he
 could have eternal life. The Lord commanded the young man to sell everything he
 had, give the money to the poor, and follow Him as Lord. The man couldn't bear
the cost, and he walked away the loser.

Is it worth taking up your cross, losing your life, and following the Lord? Jesus
wraps his loving arms around us, reminding us, "Everyone who has left houses or
brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields for my sake will receive
a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life" (Matthew 19:29).

What was true for the rich young ruler is true for us. God seems to always be pointing
to one more areas of our life that needs to come under His domain. "Ouch," we reply,
"Lord, haven't you asked enough of me?" You can be sure that at whatever point you
resist, God will persevere.

Lord, what area of my life still needs to come under Your rule? Please show it to
me, and then help me to place it under Your domain. May I look to the apostle Paul,
who counted everything a loss in order to know Jesus. Please help me to understand
that I have everything to gain when I lose my life for Your sake.


Father what are you calling each of us to do this day, what haven't I given to you, what is keeping me from being yielded to you?  Speak to my heart about it in Jesus Name.  Amen

5 comments: