Sunday, January 30, 2011

January 30, 2011

Yesterday was a good day mostly at home.  I was able to spend time in Bible study,  later we went and had lunch in town and then I went to Cando for the FaHoCha annual meeting at the Christian Fellowship Church.  I felt these were good thoughts for each of us, including myself.  Jesus bless your day.

Grieving God's Heart


"Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that
you are proved right when you speak and justified when you judge."

--Psalm 51:4

A young friend of mine, who is usually mild-tempered, exploded in anger when her
 mother meddled in her relationship with her boyfriend. Afterward she shook her
head and said, "I don't know what came over me. I'm not like that at all. That's
 not me."

I looked directly at my friend and warned, "I'm afraid you're wrong. That is you.
You are like that." I could understand the look of surprise on her face, for we
both knew that she was not one usually given to outbursts of anger. I went on to
 explain. "All of us, at any moment, are capable of the most vicious sins against
others and against God. In fact, we could all say 'Yes, we are like that.'"

Jerry Bridges, in his book, The Pursuit of Holiness, says: "We are more concerned
about our own victory over sin than we are about the fact that our sins grieve the
heart of God. We cannot tolerate failure in our struggle with sin, chiefly because
we are success-oriented, not because we know it is offensive to God."

We will be less likely to sin once we realize that sinful behavior breaks God's
heart. Our sins hurt God more than they hurt others.

How many times have you said after a moment of disobedience, "I don't know that
came over me, I'm usually not like that at all." It's true. We like to think of
ourselves as above-average sinners, not quite as wretched as those who commit truly
ugly offenses against God. But every disobedience is ugly, no matter how great or
small. Our problem is that our attitude toward sin is more self-centered than God-centered.

My Lord, I realize that all of my sin grieves You. Thank You for helping me today
to live a life that pleases you and does not grieve Your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment