Sunday, January 23, 2011

January 23, 2011

I know Dad wants to use the computer so I will try to get away from it quickly,  Yesterday was a busy day.  I had two meetings in Devils Lake, and then after a few errands came home to  Hampden for coffee with the Sr.s   Dad had a couple of magazines for Frank so I drove over there.  Alice fixed supper and they picked up Jack and we were all at Frank and Dorothys.  Good day.  I read this and know it is right.  I am doing a study on Becoming Who You are .  We are made of three parts, body, soul and spirit, but we can choose to live in the spirit, or soul and of course we live in the body.   
 
Things Above
"Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above,
 where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above,
not on earthly things."

--Colossians 3:1-2

In this verse we are twice commanded. First, we are to  Set our
 hearts; then second,
set our minds on things above. In other words, things above are to capture our imaginations,
emotions, thoughts, feelings, ideas, and on and on.

Most of us consider this command to be not as necessary as other mandates in Scripture.
But it is! When you consider that the first and greatest commandment is to love
the Lord with all your heart and mind, it follows naturally that we should set our
hearts on things above "where Christ is seated at the right hand of God."


C.H. Spurgeon once said, "Some of you, right now, could not be happy if you were
 allowed to enter heaven. Shall I tell you why? It is because heaven is a land of
the spirit and you have neglected your spirit."


It is the spiritual person who can most readily set his heart and mind on heaven.
So live in the Spirit, walk in the Spirit, abide by the Spirit, pray in the Spirit,
and you can't help but glean a real and deep longing for heavenly glories above.

What enriches your spirit? Filling your heart and mind with whatever is true, noble,
right, pure, lovely, admirable, or anything excellent or praiseworthy. What enriches

your spirit? Accessing the means of grace through prayer, worship, the reading of
God's Word, and fellowship. What enriches your spirit? Trusting and obeying your
 Lord.


I want to be a truly spiritual person, Lord, so help me to keep in step with Your
Spirit today. May my flesh diminish and my spirit increase as I set my heart and
 mind on things above.

No comments:

Post a Comment