Saturday, November 20, 2010

November 20, 2010

Yes winter is here, the ground is covered with snow and it is cold.  But thankful for home and the warmth it provides. Good day at school and a short visit with Frank and Dorothy.  I baked cookies last night to take to DAR meeting this morning.  They are sending the cookies to the veterans home with someone who goes there.


"For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities - his eternal power
and divine nature - have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been
made, so that men are without excuse.  For although they knew God, they neither
glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and
their foolish hearts were darkened."

-Romans 1:20-21

What child hasn't been told a thousand times, "Now, be sure to say thank you"? It's
part of good training. More than common courtesy, expressing gratitude is critical
to the development of a child's character.

I painfully learned that lesson when, as a little girl, I failed to say "thank you"
to Aunt Kitty after she gave me (under my mother's watchful eye) a charm for my
bracelet. The next day I was on the telephone, rubbing my sore backside and apologizing,
"Aunt Kitty, you will never know how grateful I really am."

It's an old story: Ingratitude carries serious penalties. Probably the oldest story
is out of Romans chapter 1. It says that although men knew God, they failed to give
Him thanks.  And you know what happened next. God seriously punished them for their
thankless hearts.

That should say something to you and me; because if a thankless spirit was the undoing
of a generation long ago and far away, is it any different today? In fact, you know
God far better than those to whom He revealed Himself through creation - that means
that you have even more to be thankful for!

Look around you. The blessings abound: The smiles of children, the beauty of a glorious
sunset, the comfort of a warm bed at night. Small and great, there are plenty of
 reasons to say to God, "Thank you."

Lord, receive glory today through my thankful spirit. I am so grateful for who You
are and what You've done. Show me more reasons today for which I can give You thanks.


Those were thoughts from Joni,  who through out her life has had a lot of suffering and presently is dealing with cancer besides being in a wheel chair, and yet she has reason to be thankful.  We are coming to Thanksgiving and I always feel like I want to have us express something of why we are thankful and yet when we get together it seems that by the time I get the meal ready and on the table we just eat.  It isn't the way I want to do it.


Father, we give you this day and thank you for your presence, Father I pray that you will guide the steps of each family and protect them, In Jesus Name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment