Monday, November 22, 2010

November 22, 2010

Yesterday we had Sunday School and church and a pizza party to honor a girl that had graduated.  She and her family are missionaries to a variety of countries but they have chosen to live in Cando.  She was homeschooled and in August took tests that said she was done.  She is going to start at the jr college in DL after Christmas.  

This the devotion of Joni, I felt like ti was special and trust that it will be a blessing to each of you who read it.  Joni is a remarkable woman who even if she is handicapped she still gives encouragement to others.

"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to
be praised."

-Proverbs 31:30

Why is it I cringe whenever I read Proverbs 31? Probably because the wife mentioned
is more than chief cook and bottle washer. This lady buys real estate, reads The
 Wall Street Journal, designs and sells clothes, keeps a daily exercise routine,
 runs her household as smoothly as a fine-tuned machine, is praised by her children,
helps the homeless, gives to the poor, then goes to bed late and rises early. I'm
exhausted just reading about her.

When I look to Proverbs 31 for inspiration, I find it hard to get past the first
 verse. Because of my disability, I can't even open a refrigerator door. Push a
vacuum cleaner? I tried that once when I had a friend "tie" it to the front of my
power wheelchair so I could push and pull it over the carpet. I'm still finding
nicks and scratches on my floorboards to this day.

What's funny is that Ken thinks I'm a good wife. Our marriage is good not because
I know how much toilet paper is left on the roll, or that I can juggle five bags
 of groceries when leaving the market. Ken believes I am a good wife because of
one tiny verse in Proverbs 31 - I've learned and am still learning, to fear the
Lord.

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; and it is wisdom that gives any
 marriage depth and meaning. You and I may not be able to match the work level of
the Proverbs 31 woman, but we can have her character. No matter what we do, we can
be faithful, supportive, sensitive, kind, observant, creative, and loving.

The best way I can love my family and friends, Lord, is to first fear You.  May
I be faithful and loving today to those whom You've placed in my life.


Jesus bless your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment