Monday, December 28, 2009

December 28, 2009 about the funeral

I feel like I should write about this funeral.  Dad didn't know him and only went with me because I am not driving yet. Dad dropped me off at the door and I waited inside for him to come.  Jim Berg came as I was waiting and Jim is really hurting.  The accident happened on his farm and he is the one who found him. Jim said to me how he felt that he had had a heart attack because he made no effort to drop the fall.  He didn't put out his arms   He said two families are hurting.  Gordon had spent his whole life working for farmers.  Ken and Sandy Weaver were on their way to see their children when they got word and they came back home.  He had worked for them for 8 years, He had worked for Jim about 11 years.  His Dad and Marilyn Morstad were brother and sister, but I don't think that the families were close.  Morstads were there but didn't come in with the relatives.  By the time the funeral started the church was full.  Maureen Bertsch sang, the first was a contemporary song to a tape and the second was 'The Old Rugged Cross"  Pastor Rob can speak from the heart because he buried his son on a December 23, and he used that in his talk.  But also about seeing our loved ones in heaven.  After wards it took a while for the church to clear and we weren't staying for lunch so we were able to go out the side door.  When we got to the entry to get our coats, there was Jim Berg, Gene Braathen and Diane Evan's brother John Uhlencamp.  Jim found him and tried to lift him but he was heavy and strong and he just couldn't do it.  He had fallend down between two steel bins. It was a time of talking and I was glad we were there and dad could be a part of the dialogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment